SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Used motors

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  deniseO30 
#1 ·
Is there a good place to buy used motor in the ri mass ct area?

I am looking to replace a volvo MD6A. The cost of a brand new motor for a 1975 santana 30 does not seem a good choice

#4 ·
Hello Santana30RI
Same boat here, well not the same boat I have a Morgan 28 OI in FL, but with the same need wanting to replace my Volvo Penta MD6A, and I am not sure the way to go. I have been burning up the internet looking, finding no info.
I can't find parts for the MD6A such as exhaust manifold.
I am like most sailors I know and sailing on a shoestring in a teaspoon of water.
I am retired and live on my boat, so $$$$ are very important.
Happy Sailing!
David - sailingforjoy

#5 ·
The problem with buying a used engine is that you are buying someone elses cast-off! Why did they pull it out of their boat in the first place? If you are lucky you might find a newer engine in good shape, but then you have to adapt it to fit your boat. Not that it can't be done, it just needs to be considered.

I had my MD7A rebuilt a few years ago, and it runs beautifully. I have the piece of mind of knowing that it has been torn down, inspected, cleaned and re assembled with all new bearings, rings and gaskets. I had no problem getting all the required parts. It cost a couple of grand, but it that is far cheaper than a re-power.

#8 ·
Not sure I'd replace an MD7A with another one but here is a Utube video of one for sale:
Asking $2500.
Since finding parts for this Volvo engine is difficult I'd consider biting the bullet and getting a brand (Kubota) where parts are available and cheaper. Several brands of diesel engines were built around Kubota blocks and Kubota still makes tractors, hence engines.

#9 ·
Not sure I'd replace an MD7A with another one but here is a Utube video of one for sale:
volvo md7a diesel.wmv - YouTube

This motor is in a Sabre so it will be a LH Rotation. I'm not sure what the rotation is for the MD6A but that will be an important part of the decsion making process.

#11 ·
You folks on sailnet.com are great!
I have recieved some really good replies to the posts I have done.
Followed some suggestions of places to look and even if I didn't find the very thing I was looking for - I found other things I needed. Great site massmarineparts.com
Thanks mates
dr - sailingforjoy:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.