SailNet Community - View Single Post - Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012

ScottUK is on a distinguished road
Re: Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts

I have responded to a few crewing opportunities that have been posted and have been offered a place on every one though I could not do all of them (still lamenting not being able to do last year’s fastnet due to a work commitment). My experiences have not been all that great with all the crew jumping ship on my first ride due to the personality and incompetence of the skipper. On that one I did complete the time element I committed to but we didn’t make the distance I had planned on.

On the other one the skipper was competent but wanted the crew to subsidise his cruising and dining. On one of his later legs 2 of his crew asked and were off loaded to a passing container ship. Don’t know any further details but something had to have been going on.

I have listed once on a site as crew available for racing and quickly got a call and have been racing on that boat for 2 years. This has also led to crewing on another boat when the other is not racing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook