SailNet Community - View Single Post - Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012

peterconway is on a distinguished road
Re: Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts

I've crewed twice from this site...with mixed results.
The first trip was from charleston sc to conn. the captain/owner had his act together until the wind quit blowing. As his schedule went to sh*t, so did he. We began doing the icw day and night. Traveling the icw at night is not safe. Doing it in a 6' draft boat is stupid. Needless to say we went aground at approx 2am. His plan was to throw the anchor and manually pull ourselves off. Anchor was 37# with 50 ft. chain. Second stupid.... After about an hour at full throttle we worked off the mud. The captain had made a mess on the deck from throwing the anchor and pulling up mud. He told me to clean the deck while he went back to bed....third and final stupid.
The next trip went well. The boat owner/captain had just purchased the boat and wanted to move it from st. Augustine, to Naples fla. we had a few snafus, but it was a good trip.
Lesson learned....plan "A" quickly and surly turns to plan "B". Everything that wasn't checked breaks, and half of the things that you believe to be good, are not. Flexibility is a must. Don't count on the boat to be properly equipped. And the most important is that being a boat owner is sometimes their only skill.
Still....I love it.

Last edited by peterconway; 06-21-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook