SailNet Community - View Single Post - Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012

peterconway is on a distinguished road
Re: Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Long time past (even before internet) the method of finding a berth was to go where the boats are. For me ,and dozens of others every day ,that meant walking the docks and talking /asking meeting with skippers. Offers to help with maintenance allowed you to strut your stuff. This was important as others were offering to pay and I'd been broke since Istanbul All over the Med ,across and Caribe to Halifax ,I came back to BC to get my own boat.Now I'm on the lookout for that kind of crew, but they keep tripping on their jeans and the nose rings catch on the ratlines.I hope I' not reduced to searching some kind of sailing forum. I mean, what kind of real sailor type would spend their time sitting at a computer searching for reality ?.
"Walking the docks", is not possible at many marinas...at least, not here in the U.S.
We no longer use the telegraph, or smoke signals. I too like "the good old days", but realize time has changed, as has the way we communicate. As for "real sailors", they too have gone the way of the telegraph. We all are but amateurs.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook