SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Does Your Islander Sail?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012

spillarc is on a distinguished road
Re: How Does Your Islander Sail?

Tom,

I sail the same boat, an 83 model with the original tired main and 150% genoa in the standard draft configuration. Although I haven't taken the time to record boat speeds at particular wind speeds and all points of sail, I believe your numbers are similar to what I get and perhaps a little higher. I love the way this boat sails to weather with standard keel, but I would trade it in a heartbeart for a shoal draft version for the Galveston Bay area.

I totally agree with your assesment that this boat has to be reefed early. Last season I don't think I ever shook the reef out of my main as we consistently had 15-20 kt days all summer. I have been seriously considering going to a 120 to 130% genoa for my next head sail and based on your results it sounds like the way to go.

I sail mostly on this boat and also on a friends Islander 32 (shoal draft version) and the two boats have a very different feel. I think the Bahama 30 has a very nice feeling helm when the sails are trimmed properly, whereas the 32 has to wrestled no matter how it's trimmed. Not that the 32 isn't a nice sailing boat, it's just different.....Definitely not a tender as the 30. All in all I have to say that I love the way my Islander sails.

On another subject, if you haven't ever pulled, or replaced, your chainplates I strongly suggest doing so. A recent check of mine revealed one having serious corrosion all the way through even though you couldn't tell by examining them from the bulkhead. I had six new ones made and just installed them last weekend. This was a pretty simple project as all of the bolts are very accessible.
Islander Bahama 30
Kemah, TX
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook