SailNet Community - View Single Post - USCG 2011 Boating Statistics
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Re: USCG 2011 Boating Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
This is interesting, an argument in favour in boating instruction.

Just slightly over 1% of accidents involved sailboats. Almost 50% were open motorboats.

Must reading.
Jackdale, I didn't read the word "license" anywhere in your original comment so I'm not sure how that got started. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you were hinting at the wisdom of learning how to safely operate a boat from an experienced source prior to just "heading out" on the water. To be honest, I've been straddling the fence on whether or not to take classes. They can tally up to quite a bit of dollars. I'm not so concerned about splitting hairs here, but it definitely looks like there is some return on the investment. Ditto X2 on wearing life jackets.

I don't want to see government step in and tighten their grip on boaters but I would like to see more personal responsibility displayed in a voluntary manner. Whether a person gets instruction through a school, by boating with someone more experienced for awhile, or some combination of the two (this was my plan), the skipper absolutely needs to know how to keep him/herself and crew safe as well as others around them. In order to do that, IMHO, that means knowing what you're doing. I must agree with you that these statistics give instruction a favorable mark.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook