SailNet Community - View Single Post - Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012
Lookin' for an excuse ...

CaptTony is on a distinguished road
Re: Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts

During my delivery days, there was no Internet. I had to go through a crew service. Back then there were many in south Florida. I imagine a few are still around, but I digress.

The crew service was only interested in their fee. They sent me guys who have never been on a sailboat and others with minimal experience. I had one guy jump ship after we went down the Intracoastal from the Chesapeake to Beaufort. The next hop was on the ocean to Florida and he wanted no part of it. Another crew was scared to death when we left Key Largo and hit 6 to 9 foot seas. The trip ended with him throwing up blood. I had to have the coast guard meet us to look at him. I thought he would die.

The point is - I'm sure a lot of inexperienced people get rides. Boat owners don't want to pay for crew or at the very least pay travel and food expenses, so they get what they pay for. With a little luck, the weather stays good, the inexperienced crew doesn't freak out, and you make it to port okay.

That reminds me of the 48 year old "sailor" who said he could not stand watch because he was too scared. I was at the helm for over 20 hours while he was in the fetal position crying in the cabin just because we were in a storm with 30 knot winds, but I digress again.