SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 38 pros and cons
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012

hrt is on a distinguished road
Catalina 38 pros and cons

Hello JH,

I know the thread is old but I have just read it, and was at least as angry as you that KrakauII felt that this site should accommodate his panhandling and bludging (old Australian word for a taker/mendicant) under the camouflage of advice seeking.

That said, I was impressed beyond measure at what you wrote about the Catalina 38's design, and its less than desirable sailing qualities when applied to a cruising situation. FWIW, I sailed a 38' Beneteau Idylle solo from Alameda to Australia a while back and am considering doing it again - but in a different yacht.

Downwind, the Idylle would start rolling which gradually increased in amplitude until there was a bang, whereupon the yacht would remain steady for a while and then start rolling again. I never sorted it out, but readily admit that may have been my fault. Likewise, the bulkheads creaked and this damn near drove me crazy until I poured vegetable oil into the joints.

The 38 was a contender for the next trip but based on your comments, I have now ruled it out along with other IOR influenced yachts.

In any case, I note there has been some hand wringing over the 38's water capacity but surely, this problem is readily overcome by carrying bottles of water and storing same under the settees etc. Indeed, is this not a sensible thing to do anyway bearing in mind that the contents of a 100 gallon tank are not available if the pump quits?

Thank you for your sensible writings.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook