SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Does Your Islander Sail?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Re: How Does Your Islander Sail?

Spillarc,

Thanks for the reply. My hope with this thread is to help anyone who is considering an Islander gain some insight into what sailing it would be like. The next time you sail on the I32, could you take some notes? I guess it is the engineer in me that likes measuring things that causes me to collect statistics like that.

I'd love to have wind like the Gulf has near Galveston but I'm not sure I want all the heat and humidity that comes with it. I did my higher education in Houston and I remember it well. When I reported to school as a Freshman in the middle of August, I thought I was gonna die with all the walking in it. It was 10 degrees hotter and 10 points more humid than the Midwest. Then, every afternoon the T-storms would roll off the gulf about 4:30 or 5 PM. Houston is flat as a flannel cake, so one of the greatest engineering issues is how to deal with all the water. I remember the streets having standing water for half an hour afterward until it all finally got down the storm drains. But the payback was no Winter to speak of. It stayed nice all the way into December, and in February it started warming up again. Nice!
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook