SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 38 pros and cons
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Catalina 38 pros and cons

Thank you HRT for the kind words on this is an old thread. In terms of carrying water in separate containers for long distance passages, I think it is a good idea to break up the water supply into multiple tanks with backflow preventers between them to avoid cross contamination should one tank go bad. In terms of temproary tanks, they need to be tied down incase of roll over, and they occupy critical storage space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedboy View Post
Jeff here is a big advocate of "modern" hullforms, by which I assume he means flat-bottomed, hard-chined, deep high-aspect ratio keel - like this TP 52 (or Open 60, Volvo 70, etc)....
Actually, I am not a fan of any of the above. I was a fan of the cruising designs which evolved from the early IMS and Volvo 60 hull forms. These boats were modeled to be fast for they day, and which produced boats which were easy to handle and had comfortable motions.

The racing world has moved onto designs which are wildly faster than the boats which I am a fan of, but that speed came at a price I do not think should be paid in a cruising design in terms of needing to operate in a narror range of heel angles for the wind condition, a lack of forgivingness, motion comfort and tracking ability.

While the basis of my comments are often misunderstood, my personal taste is towards boats that are easily handled and sail well across a broad range of conditions. I generally do not like the excesses in hull form and rig which occur when the racing rules distort a design away from what is the best yacht design principles of the era when seen in the absense of a rule, or of the demands of the race course. This dislike also applies to the more extreme designs at either the light or heavy end of the length/displacement.

It is for that collection of reasons, that I don't like boats that come from the more exterme eras of CCA, IOR, Volvo 70, and Open class rules any more than I like boats that are caricatures of 19th century work boats. The result of this personal like or dislike, is that given the choice of boats that I personally would buy, or recommend to others, I generally try to recommend moderate designs intended for the proposed purpose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook