SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing yacht design
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Sailing yacht design

"I'm curious about the standing rigging. With the mast canted aft it looks like there are three shrouds each side with slightly swept back spreaders. Is that right? While it seems to give very good support to the mast when the wind is on the beam or to aft, does this design put more force onto the forestay when the wind is forward? Would double forestays be appropriate?
John"

I assume that you are asking about the rig in my sketch. The idea behind this rig is that it has enough spar flexibility that you can easily induce bend in the mast as the wind comes up. Designing a rig like this is a bit of a balancing act. Too much bend and its hard to have proper headstay tension, without using checkstays, because as the mast flexes the hounds move closer to the deck loosening headstay tension. Too stiff and you don't have enough bend to depower the mainsail. I am showing diamond stays to help with headstay tension and to permit a masthead spinnaker.

Structurally, adding an extra forestay is unnecessary, adds nothing to the rig functionally, and frankly would screw up an otherwise great rig for dealing with short handed sailing in variable winds.

In other issues, I am familiar with the Hake Seaward and to me the sad part is that it is not the boat that I describe but should have been.

Aluminum honeycomb probably does not make sense in the marine environment and should not be necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook