SailNet Community - View Single Post - Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012

capttb is on a distinguished road
Re: Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts

Feel free to use at will, I thought it to be just personal experience but I see now it's a common shared one.
Quote:
That reminds me of the 48 year old "sailor" who said he could not stand watch because he was too scared. I was at the helm for over 20 hours while he was in the fetal position crying in the cabin just because we were in a storm with 30 knot winds, but I digress again
Exactly, I was so tired I was hallucinating, steering by the wind gauge, only I was seeing it as a piece of pie, I'd wake at the realization that the piece of pie was getting too small or too big.
I'd had 3 experienced crew try to make that trip but none could free up the time, and that's the rub. People that you know have the skills and abilities for all conditions don't have the time or inclination to do a 500 mile delivery run. And 99% of the time you don't need the skills of a circumnavigator, just the ability to stand an uneventful watch. And obey the primary directive: Don't hit nothing and don't let anything hit us.