SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where to start, what to buy.
View Single Post
post #14 of Old 11-04-2006
chuck5499

I agree with NCountry - your major disadvanage is time - i can only tell you what i did but it parells a lot of what NC talked about - At age 55 i took up sailing - a sig other who is about your wifes size and i took 3 ASA sailing course together as the captain/instructor will make you work as a team and not one issuing orders to the other - second i chartered a few times to try various size boats - third i did a lot of reading and studying on boats and what i wanted in a boat - fourth i spent a lot of time a boat shows asking question and learning about boats and brokers - fifth i did find an experienced former cruiser who took time to help me learn even more about boats and this person was also an owner of a boat dealership - he did not pressure me to buy a boat until we both understood what i wanted and then worked to find it - it took 2+ years before i bought my boat and i bought a 40' - now at age 60 and sig other taking off with a new friend i can still sail my 40' single handed as i had her set up for ease of handling for the smallest person on board - my boat by the way is a Jeanneau DS40 and i plan to sail both the east coast, bahamas and coastal central america - good luck
just my thoughts and what worked for me
chuck and soulmates
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome