SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 38 pros and cons
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Catalina 38 pros and cons

Just found this old thread and I have a question for JeffH.

I've noticed in your criticisms of IOR boats that you make no distinction between the first generation IOR I boats, like the Yankee/Cat 38 and the later boats from IOR 111 and 111A. They both have the big foretriangle and small stern but the later boats (post Ganbare) have quite different hull shapes - flat bottoms, no or little rocker, no or little deadrise, low initial stability, high CG etc.

These later boats were the ones that suffered all the maladies you complain of re: handling and seaworthiness while the earlier ones like the Cat 38, Swan 38, Hughes 38 etc. seem to do much better in that regard, albeit a little more slowly.

Do you in fact see the two generations of IOR design differently or do you see them all with the same jaundiced eye?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook