SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hellow from Galicia, Spain
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Hellow from Galicia, Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishSticks View Post
Ahoy and welcome! I visited Galicia on busines and that is where I decided that in my next life i want to be a Spaniard. The people, the way of life, the food, the scenery, the history. All wonderful. Preserve your culture.
I used to say that Spain was my second favourite place after Oz, until I visited Portugal. Today I include all of Iberia. I know they have both been knocked about by the GFC but they have a charm that really gets to me. Now Barcelona is a great city and the Balearic Islands, particularly Menorca and Formentara are wonderful but my favourite parts run from the Basque country across to Galicia and down.

Interestingly enough I found Galicia to be very much like Portugal to the point that I often wonder if it shouldn't be Portuguese rather than Spanish. Given that my love of both countries is strong that is not meant to be taking a hit at Spain or Portugal, just that Galicia seems to have a somewhat Portuguese feel to it. I guess given the geography that is not surprising.

As for the people, I've found them universally to my liking though of course very different across the peninsular. Here at SailNet we've had some fine Iberians on board. Some sadly no longer posting but our friend Paulo (PCP) is someone I'd love to meet and go for a sail with while I spent a wonderful few days with Alex (Giulietta) a couple of years back.

Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook