SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips and tricks for getting rid of crab/lobster floats
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Tips and tricks for getting rid of crab/lobster floats

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post

In Maine, I think that a lot of buoys could be saved if they put their toggles much closer to the pickup buoy, like 4' not 30'. They would be slightly harder to pick up but you wouldn't be forced to run between the buoys and toggles. A timed release of the buoy could be cool. The low tech way of doing this is bags of salt but that would be a whole lot of salt.
In Maine we'd be better if they just stopped using the useless toggles all together. They serve NO PURPOSE other than "my grandfathers, grandfather used them, so I do too." Toggles are a completely and utterly useless float that only INCREASES lost gear. Some guys are smartening up others are still stupid is as stupid does... Toggles are getting less and less used and are now only really used East of the Muscle ridge with a few stragglers left in Muscongus..

It would be nice to have a state ban on them but no legislator wants to take on the lobstermen as they are the last cowboys and someone would get their house burned down.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook