SailNet Community - View Single Post - Palmyra Atoll
Thread: Palmyra Atoll
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012

s/v freebird is on a distinguished road
Re: Palmyra Atoll

Hi there. Saw your post and decided to sign up so I could reply to it. I sailed to palmyra atoll about 15 years ago. I understand that it has changed hands but you can still go there. If you can go, GO! Bring all your own supplies because even if they have a bit of goods to sell, there isin't much. The place is pure paradise. 3-4 days sail South of Hawaii. Couple it with visits to Hawaii where you would leave from, Wotje in the Marshall Islands(4-5 days S-W sail from Hawaii), and Tarawa, Kiribati (4-5 days sail South from there).

Let the nature conservancy know when you'll be there. One there, the "caretaker" will have you sign a waiver to release them of legal responsibility, and enjoy. 3 lagoons. Rich in sea life so you can basically live off fishing. Tricky to get in to the with the boat. When I went, the caretaker actually sailed out in a little dinghy and directed us in. Gave him some gifts and we were best friends. Swimming, snorkeling, diving off the pier. Lots of sea life but everyone is so well fed that you can basically swim with the sharks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook