SailNet Community - View Single Post - State Registration of Documented Vessels
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: State Registration of Documented Vessels

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjango View Post
I like how a lot of people these days just go.....I'd paid it to avoid the hassle . That's what made this country great . There actually was a guy in the Continental Congress who acknowledged that the British were pesky , but it would be easier to just pay them & avoid the hassle . His name was Ima Spineless ******** ......just sayin
To start work on a case like this I would ask for a minimum of a $10,000 retainer. With the understanding that costs could easily reach $50,000. If we needed to bring in experts in particular fields the cost to do so would go up from there.

The cost for the sticker is about $5 (here in Louisiana it's $50).

If someone wanted to bring a case like this I would be happy to handle it, but it would be hard to justify financially. And few people really care about principal when it will cost them a lot of money to stand up for it, and bowing in is really cheap.

And like I said, for most people the bigger problem is making sure their paperwork is in order. Since getting to court and realizing that the client 'forgot' to pay sales tax on their boat....