SailNet Community - View Single Post - Black Beans & Tuna
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Black Beans & Tuna

I'm sure most of you already have this as a staple in your onboard diet, but I thought I would post it anyway because I just made it and enjoy it so much. One of the problems with most recipies is that they serve six or more. So what about one or two with no leftovers?
So here is my Black Bean and Tuna for two. The basic recipe is:
1 can (15oz.) Black Beans rinsed and drained
1 small sweet red pepper finely diced
4 scallions thinly sliced
1 can (6oz.) tuna, solid white water packed
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and peper
Mix everything in a large bowl. Let stand 15 minutes or so to allow the flavors to blend.
Serve with any flat bread, pita, tortilla, crackers, etc.

Now the good part is the improvisation this recipe leads to. No black beans, then any beans, it is very good with Italian white beans. No red pepper, use green bell peppers or celery or any crunchy vegetable in small dice. No scallions, then shallots or red or yellow onion. No cilantro, use parsley or basil or even celery leaves. No vinegar and oil, then leave it out. If you are using dried herbs, then soak them in the vinegar before mixing into the salad.
Want to make it a little fancy? Add a mango diced or cantalope or apple or banana or grapes or tomatoes.
In other words, a can of tuna and a can of beans can be the vehicle for a delicious and nutritious meal for two and requires no cooking or refrigeration.
Hope this didn't bore you,
John
p.s. I'll have to admit that after a long day of sailing, I can eat the whole thing by myself. But without the bread is is still less that 600 calories.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook