SailNet Community - View Single Post - sab motor with varable pitch prop
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: sab motor with varable pitch prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
WS,

He built a Bill garden modern day sea bird yawl. One of Rudders "LAST" plans before that rag went kaput! Not sure how many others, if at all were built. HERE is a link to some pics a couple or three years ago when we got in on a trailer, the fall before launching. Gives you an idea of the shape etc.

The design itself has some issues as to how well it turns etc too. It would have been nice of the motor was a bit stronger. Not sure if the tack reads true. Seems to be about half of what it really is turning in my mind. The claim is to run at 1500 or so rpm for best speed performance etc But seems to like about 2000-2200 on the tack, along with get some reasonable speed out of the boat. Not sure of the speed, as a knotmeter is not installed.

It is what it is, when he dies, family will probably sell it, like all things, for as much as they can get. Not sure it will be a lot considering many variables about it.

Marty
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Home built wood boats can be very hard to sell, but both Garden and the Seabirds have a following. I have the plans for the original, expanded (Seagoer), and an early plywood version. I alway wanted to build my own cruiser. I have built a few dingies and a kayak, but really didn't want to spend the timebuilding bigger. I respect him for doing it.
I like it, but yes she will be hard to sell. You can tell a lot of work and love went into the build. I have respect for anyone who can complete a project like that. I wonder what percent of boats like that never get completed? I would think the majority, as it has to be a multi year project. Plans change and life can get in the way! Props to the completion of the project. Have any interior shots?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook