SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailnet Members from around the world check-in please.
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012

uncas is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailnet Members from around the world check-in please.

Hi everybody!

Just joined. Currently land locked in Pleasant grove, UT, but lived in the USVI - 1 year on St. Thomas and 13 years on St. John. Would still be there except my wonderful spouse and I decided that we wanted to offer our little girl a more traditional upbringing so when she was 2.5 years, we moved back to the states. I was pulling for the east, as I'm from Cooperstown, NY, but it's very cold, long grey winters were enough to chose by wife's hometown of Pleasant grove, UT. I'm familiar with Utah, as I did a winter sabbatical being an emergency medicine doc at the awesome Snowbird Ski Resort Emergency dept in the winter of 1998-99, and I love sailing just a bit more than skiing - but it's close.

I owned 3 wonderful sailboats when living in the VI. I bought my 1st boat - a 14' runabout, when I was 11, and was introduced to boating by my father @ 6 years old in an old 14' Thomson Lapstreak wooden boat used by the Canadian Mounties in many of the laked in Eastern Canada. It was rotten, and in 1964, my dad used the new product, fiberglass, to completely re-do the bottom, and then he stuffed another newish thing - styrofoam - in, and under every conceivable place in hope that it would keep it afloat. Sorry I get carried away A LOT - In my eyes, lakes are for little power boats, and the ocean is for sailboats.

Anyway - my 1st boat was a "homemade" 32' Sampson designed, ferro-cement, gaff-rigged cutter, "Bonne Esperance," which I bought for a pittance, and the builder, a shipwright in Tortola, and a great guy, showed me how to rebuild it. It was my 1st "big" sailboat, and it was a great one to cut my teeth on, and it has a 13 HP Yanmar 2 GM, which would barely get it out of a harbor against the wind - so I had to learn how to sail, and it was great.

The main reason I'm joining - and I probably should've said this 1st - is I'm looking for the where-abouts of my dreamboat (my wife is my dream girl), a 1976 Downeaster 38, cutter rigged sloop - blue and white. I had to sell it after a bad skiing accident in 1999. Her name was "Uncas," and she was hauled out in Nanny Cay in Tortola, and sold through BVI Yacht Sales in 1999. I had just installed an original Aries wind-vane self-steering unit. Because I was in and out of the hospital for a few years after my ski accident, I never got to know the new owner. I think it was a "Scotsman" who was planning to do some serious cruising - as I was in 2000, but things don't always turn out the way we plan it. "Uncas" was certainly ready to go structurally - just lacking some electronics for those who like that sort of thing (that would be me, but I just hadn't been able to afford it after a bit of a refit of "Uncas," removing all those leaking salon windows with imbedded Lexan, and all new canvas, and refrigeration, and new lifelines, re-imbedding the cap rails and stanchions, and the Aries steering).

Anyway - if anyone knows anything about this beautiful boat - I would love to hear about it - my email is docbobbyzamelis@hotmail.com, or am I not supposed to give out that info - oh well - thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook