SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shroud attachment location at the chainplates
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Shroud attachment location at the chainplates

Wow. A question: are you lower shrouds attached to the hull even with the mast, slightly forward of the mast or slightly aft of the mast?

I think you need to loosen all stays and start over, as it were. Take a halyard and use it to get an equal distance from side to side to insure your mast is straight up and down, not leaning towards one side or another. Tighten up your forestay and backstay when your mast is straight up on the forward and back plane of the boat. Once you have your mast oriented where you want it and tightened down you then work on the lower shroud. Check for mast bend by attaching a halyard to the base of the mast and seeing if the mast is as straight as the line. Then, lastly, tension the lower forestay.

I must say that on my cutter rigged boat, there is a stay that attaches close to my lower forestay and goes aft of the mast, a bit aft of my shrouds. The job of this stay is to provide a counter force to the forward pull of the lower forestay so what is happening to your boat doesn't happen to mine. I think that is what is missing in your boat's configuration. You should have a rigger look at it to advise where and how to attach such a stay. You don't have to do a wire stay but use rope and, with a block and tackle system, you can have a running backstay to control some mast bend as needed.

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook