SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailnet Members from around the world check-in please.
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012

uncas is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailnet Members from around the world check-in please.

Hi Mike,

thanks for posting.

I have found a Piver Lodestar - it is a 35 or 38' trimaran - model - Piver, brand - Lodestar.

Thanks for the thought.

"Uncas," for those of you who either, didn't grow up in Upstate New York, OR didn't read James Fenimore Cooper's 18th century novels of the same area, OR didn't see the daniel day lewis Movie, "Last of the Mohicans," which took some pretty serious literary license, but it was still OK, although Hawkeye was an older woodsman - not a young stud the same age as Uncas - Uncas was the young Mohican warrior chief, Son of Chingatchgook - the Chief, and ends up being, the last of the Mohican tribe, when Uncas, against all odds, tries to save one of the daughters of Colonel Monroe, that he has fallen in love with, but he's killed, and she throws herself off the cliff to her death to join Uncas in death rather than stay in the clutches of Magua - the Huron villian of the story.

Anyway - Uncas was my boyhood hero, although I doubt the new owner of my old Downeaster 38 "Uncas" kept her name, although I think it's a mighty fine name.

Of course, I would love to hear about "Uncas," but I'd also love to hear from other Downeaster owners. It was a personal tragedy, a severe ski accident, that wrested away from me, my "Uncas," as I needed to sell to pay hospital bills, and my circumnavigation, which was planned to begin @ 2000, kicking off @ Foxy's Old Year's Night celebration - actually, it's the whole island of Jost Van Dyke - I didn't miss a year from 1994 - 1997, but haven't been back since. I wonder if it has, like so many things, gone "over-the-top," or is as fun as ever.

It didn't stop my sailing though, as I managed to move back to St. John in 2002 with my wonderful wife, Christan, and although the accident cost me the use of my right arm, I did tons of sailing with Christan, friends, and for a few years, all by myself - pushing myself to do it with just one functional arm. I would sail away for weeks at a time, which helped me exorcise some of my demons, AND was the 2nd best physical therapy I could have done to help heal my body. The best was having our miracle daughter, Madelyn Alexandra, born in January 2005 - taking care of her for her 1st 2.5 years, with my wife, but she was working a serious job, and I was doctoring part-time. The majority of the people I helped in the caribbean was for free - although it paid me better than any money ever could. That was my dream - to be a sailing doc - like the wonderful Peter Barratt, who was a great inspiration to me after I had moved down to the VI - his story can be read in his book, "Out Island Doctor." I loved the book, but I had this dream all by myself since I was a kid.

Sorry - I ramble.

Smooth Sailing to you all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook