SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012

keforion is on a distinguished road
Re: Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions

On the keel shape:

Bill Browning's Yacht Sales web-site has drawings of lots of boats including those by Morgan and Starratt & Jenks. Thanks to rablack for posting this connection.

It seems there are at least three different boats called "Morgan 45."

1. The original, also called the 'Ocean Racer' according to some, although that appelation does not appear on Morgan's drawings is what most of us have, I think. This one has the short (2') level section to the keel right aft, sloping gently upward from there to the wl for'd (a b---- to block on the hard, as noted by Cap,n Dave) This is the same boat as the S&J or Starratt 45, same molds as the original twelve Morgan built hulls. The only variations I am aware of are the 'cruising' deck mold made by Starratt but fitted to the same hull and a note in the Starratt literature offering a 'sjhoal draft' version. Has anyone seen one of these?

2. The Morgan built and Nelson-Marek designed 'Morgan 45.' This is a different design, inspired by the newly adopted IOR rule. It has the typical pinched ends and reversed transom characteristic of that era.

3. Then there is a 'Catalina Morgan 45' apparently produced by Catalina after they acquired Morgan. It is a substantially heftier boat with long full depth keel, large cabin top and so on. Looks more like an 'Out Island' than the original Morgan 45.

Another story I heard in the yard here at Salt Creek is that Jenks did indeed do jail time, for transporting certain herbal substances in hollow recesses cast into the keels of some of his boats.

We will be here until the 2nd of July in case any of you want to stop by. We'd love to see you.

Ken & Jeanette
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook