SailNet Community - View Single Post - sab motor with varable pitch prop
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: sab motor with varable pitch prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I do not have too many shots that I can show as this one is. It took some 30 yrs from start to finish. as one says, life gets in the way. 6 yrs doing nothing while his wife/my mom fought a battle with cancer, a few yrs of trying to get ones feet back on the ground. One of my sisters and her husband helping for abit, more time off, another helped get it finished as he approaches age 90! as said, wonder how many never get finished.

Nor is it my style of boat. If I inherited it, it would be gone yesterday per say, or a major redo of the trans would be in order. Motor works ok for its size etc. I would go with a neutral style trans, 3 blade prop vs the varible 2 blade to get a bit more bite. Re rig the rigging a bit, along with put wheel steering in, as you do not get a full enough rudder movement side to side with the way the tiller was mounted and designed.

Hull size, from what I can see, about the same as my 28' Jeanneau, you will not get this to move real fast. I've only sailed on it once, we only put up the main and jib. Major case of lee helm! The mizzen might have helped a bit. It's a funky design needless to say. Think I have a pg for the plans some where.

marty
Yea, I understand, it is not a boat I would like to own, but I enjoy all kinds of boats, especially ones like this that obviously have a lot of hard work and soul put into it. I think funky designs are cool if other people build and use them. I love the sharpies but would never want to own one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook