SailNet Community - View Single Post - electric vs manual toilets
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: electric vs manual toilets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackham the red View Post
Hi, I am not sure the electrical section is the place to post the question, but can anyone provide me the pros and cons of replacing my toilets with electric ones?
I've had regular manual toilets, a VacuFlush, and an electric. The electric has been far and away the best. I did a rebuild (two o-rings and a joker valve - total time 35 minutes) after six years of liveaboard use.

Power consumption is a red herring. Yes, the draw is high, but the duration is very short. Not a problem.

A spare motor and a couple of extra rebuild kits take up less space then a spare pump and kits for a manual toilet.

I've had two clogs: the first was from a crew (ha!) member who used enough toilet paper to make a good sized rabbit, and the second was when I got cocky and flushed a Chlorox wipe. Both were cleared in less than five minutes with a minimum of unpleasantness.

Even better, without intake and outlet separated only by a seal an electric toilet (not an electric conversion) can safely use fresh water (I have a y-valve to use sea water offshore) which really reduces smells in the head.

As I said I have owned (and serviced, repaired, and unclogged) all sorts of toilets. I won't own anything but electrics in future.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook