SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012

pointyendfirst is on a distinguished road
Re: Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet?

i have been a member for several years but almost exclusively lurk, partially because i am timid about asking for help and partially because i am afraid of being beat down or jumped on if I say anything. I find it upsetting how quickly people jump all over posters for saying things that i don't think are really meant to be offensive, and the convo kinda degenerates. Ouch, now i am hiding under the keyboard in case i get shelled for that.

I do want to say how incredibly helpful i have found these forums- i have read literally thousands of threads and have used so much of the wonderful expertise and experience people have shared here.

I had been looking to the hersailnet as a possible place where i could talk with fellow female sailors, especially any who like me are relatively underconfident in their technical skills. I am in the process of a fairly major refit of my boat and for someone who previously regarded changing a lightbulb as a challenge, this is scary stuff. Especially as I am doing it in east africa where there is a real shortage of skilled people who you could hire as teachers or consultants. My club here is heavily british and south african, so being a yank female skipper makes me feel pretty isolated.

I would love to hear from other women who have taught themselves to work on their boats e.g. rewiring, re-doing standing rigging, etc. and how they did it! My husband is an absolute darling but isn't interested in sailing in the least, and isn't handy, so i am starting from scratch here.....

any words of wisdom from women out there who taught themselves to fix their boats or at least learned and did it on their own? any courses you could recommend? I am a decent sailor, but am looking at doing some of the ASA or RYA courses especially navigation to further my skills, but i don't see much in terms of courses for repair/maintenance.

oh well, that was my rant. I will probably be looking for the retract post button soon......
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook