SailNet Community - View Single Post - wet sanding
Thread: wet sanding
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 11-05-2006
sailaway21
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sanding

Sanding an old boats gel-coat merely accelerates the process of compounding/polishing. The usual cavaet of ensuring your gel-coat is thick enough applies; if you screw up here you'll end up painting. I used 600 and 800 wet/dry (always wet) on my 73 Cal and it cleaned up nice. Coarser than that you'll want to be careful not to burn through the gel-coat. An orbiatal, or even a palm sander can be used, but in both cases, do not apply too much pressure, letting the machine do the work. I recommend finish sanding by hand.
The trouble with old gel-coat is that it becomes porous and loses it's shine as a result. After sanding and polishing is done, I recommend Poly-glo. It fills in the pores and gives a great shine. It has been on now for three months and still looks great. I've used numerous waxes and had no-where near the results, and poor longevity too. The Poly-glo is extremely easy to apply; by the time you're done with one coat you're ready to apply another. I did four coats, on a 21' boat, in under an hour. Practical Sailor reviewed the product extremely well and I've found nothing to prove them wrong.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome