SailNet Community - View Single Post - maine to bahamas and back
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
Re: maine to bahamas and back

so true about crew,after i got to florida ,the marine wanted back on to continue but i learned my lesson and went on alone.but back to lewes del.i got a little weather window from the onslaught of southeasterlys and went around the corner to ocean city maryland. i started at 8 knots and by the time i got there the wind had swung back to se and i went trough the channel.it was a fairly hairy ride that day with breakers on both sides coming in and as you can see on the charts theres not much water debth in there,i went south in the channel and soon found the mud and then wiggiled out and back downriver and set the hook..the wild horses on the beach was oustanding and sometimes the stallion was up all night raising cain.i bought a new grill some ship stores and waited for wind shift..i finnally got a nw breeze and took off for hatterras heading offshore of dead on.this put me well off of the chesapeake but i still had traffic at night,the wind picked up and by the next afternoon i was hand steering because the autopilot was overwelmed by the large seas coming from astern..i didnt want to get to close to hatterras as the wind picked up and went ne..as i rounded hatterras under third reef only i was doing 8.3 knots against the stream wind speed at hatteras was 33 knots and where i was it seemed more than that.i knew i was in the stream because of the warm water coming aboard as spray.after or while rounding the hatteras buoy i encountered a freighter heading out on my inside,we got around each other and i skipped down the coast to point lookout for some r&r..and then to buefort nc
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook