SailNet Community - View Single Post - B32 rudder shaft repair
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012

jb1528 is on a distinguished road
B32 rudder shaft repair

When I bought my B32 last year the survey showed a loose lower rudder shaft. I assumed it was the bushing in a cast bronze shoe. Nope. Turns out that this particular vessel doesn't have a bronze shoe, but rather a bushing placed in the fiberglass at the aft part of the keel at the bottom where one would expect it. An identical bushing is in the bottom of the rudder. The lower rudder pin is inserted from below the keel through the bushing in the keel and through the bushing in the rudder itself. The pin is retained by a bolt that runs athwart ship under the pin. The bolt head and nut on the other side are exposed by much grinding. The repair yard said that the pin crumbled some when it came out. A new bronze pin was made and installed and now the rudder has no play.

I'm wondering if this is the experience of other B32 owners. Is this the way they were made or was my boat repaired. I must say I kind of like the way it provides access for replacing the pin, and it seems strong enough. One only needs to know where to look for the retaining bolt ends when the time comes.

Jim

Last edited by jb1528; 06-26-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook