SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan T27 Handling
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2001

bporter is on a distinguished road
Tartan T27 Handling

My first boat was a Tartan 27. Also a project when I bought her, more of a project when I was done, as I learned I had no time for a project boat.

As my first boat, even though it was only 5 years ago my memories of it''s capabilities are...less precise...than if I sailed one now, since I''ve learned a ton in the interim and had very little to compare to.

In general I remember her being very forgiving of a beginner, and very stable. I never got offshore with her, as the cabin was not someplace that was ready to sleep in, but in all of the daysailing we did she was always a pleasure to sail.

As far as pointing ability, I do not remember it to be a stellar pointer, although that probably had more to do with the condition of my sails and my ability to trim them properly than anything else.

My strongest impression of the boat is that it was a very forgiving & comfortable boat to learn on, although I did scare my mother-in-law half to death on one 20+ day. Of course reefing the main was still a novelty to me then...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook