SailNet Community - View Single Post - Taking the bull by the horns
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012

GreenHorn is on a distinguished road
Taking the bull by the horns

OK scallywags, here is my situation. I am a novice sailor in South Louisiana and am entertaining the idea of buying a used boat. I've been sailing (well sat on a sailboat while others did the sailing) a couple of times and have come to the realization this is a hobby worth getting addicted to.

I'm looking for something in the 20-25' range that would be able to fit 3-4 people comfortably. My budget is $4500 tops including all necessary updates to make her seaworthy. I will be sailing in a bay 30 minutes from my house so would prefer a boat that I can trailer to and from the launch. I don't know if my assumption that this can be accomplished is reasonable. From my research, it looks as though I can easily purchase older boats (i.e. morgan, san juan, catalina, macgregor, C&C) in my price range with cushion for any necessary updates to rigging or sails but am not totally confident that I'm not in way over my head when it comes to assessing the quality of the gear or the boat itself for that matter.

I would really appreciate any comments on specific boats to look into, places to look for them, things to look out for, and any way to prioritize necessities when looking at buying an older boat (i.e. older rigging should take priority over older sails....things of that nature). I would really appreciate any advice you are willing to provide. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook