SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finding free anchorages on East Coast?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012

tomfl is on a distinguished road
Re: Finding free anchorages on East Coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
True enough, but how about if the local authorities simply addressed ths problem boats and let the responsible ones continue to exercise their rights of free anchorage?

My suspicious mind thinks that the derelict vessel/irresponsible boater arguments are a smoke cover for developers and cash-strapped municipalities.
The two places in Florida where the Pilot Programs have had the most discussion are probably Boot Key and St. Augustine.

The problem with Boot Key is that in most of the winter the anchorage is 100% full and the rest of the year maybe 20% full. Through out the Keys there is a real issue with things like trash and black water not being properly disposed of. As long as Boot Key is as popular an anchorage as it is things will probably not change.

St. Augustine is also popular, but the big problem there is at times the current really whips through and boats can drag.

But all over Florida, and elsewhere as well, there are a lot more boats looking for a place to drop the hook. Many times the skipper is a first timer in the area and simply selects a popular and crowded place. There are places in Florida and the Keys that I never saw a boat when I was a kid sailing with my Dad that are too crowded for an experienced boater to anchor now.

To put things in perspective I am currently involved with the planning for my 50th high school reunion in Miami, and one of the biggest issues we are having is parking.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook