SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heritage One Ton - Replace Keel Bolts???
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Heritage One Ton - Replace Keel Bolts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windborn View Post
For a number of years, I've looked at the tops of the keel bolts in the shallow bilge of our old IOR warrior and quietly said to myself "don't got here". Well, I've decided that it is probably time to investigate how well the bolts have held up over the nearly 36+ years since they were socked home.

They have some corrosion, but I've seen a lot worse in some newer boats. There have been no signs of any movement in the keel / hull bond, and we couldn't seen any cracks along the hull / keel joint during the last haul out. Frankly, the only reason I'm thinking about this is that the boat is going on 40 years old and I'd like to keep sailing her for another decade or so (without any unnecessary excitement)

I know there are a number of SailNet folks who own Heritage One tonners, and I was hoping that someone might be able to share some of their experiences along these lines before I commit myself to one of Dante's rings.

One option I'm considering is to add pairs of sister bolts rather than trying to remove / inspect / replace the originals. Any thoughts, guidance, or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
You've got a lead keel so removing/replacing the originals is not a practical option. Sistering into lead is pretty iffy as well unless you use hanger bolts - lag screw thread on one end and SAE threads on the other. Even that is pretty mickey mouse, especially on a keel as heavy as yours.

You say the joint is good and the nuts etc. aren't scary bad? Pull the nuts one at a time and inspect the threads on the bolts. Brush them with a brass or stainless steel brush to clean them up. If they look O/K, put new washers & nuts on and torque them down.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook