SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012

pointyendfirst is on a distinguished road
Re: Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet?

I agree with PCP about the tasks being gender-neutral- e.g. I look under maintenance for info on re-seating chain plates or whatever- but what i find female-specific is the emotions that accompany re-fit tasks. Many woman haven't had as much of a background of messing about with cars, or wiring, or woodworking (remember when girls did home ec and boys did shop?) that give you a basis for taking on some of the work of owning and maintaining a boat.

Donna totally gets it: even though running aground etc is gender-neutral, the responses aren't always, and the encouragement isn't always. So I wanna be able to whine to other women about how I am having a hard time learning what is an amp and what is a volt before i start on re-wiring, whereas da boyz are often starting with a set of skills and knowledge that I ain't got. Of course, I suck at the "pink" tasks too- my boat is infamous for having the worst crew rations evah (usually bad quiche in sandwich bags, to be squeezed into the mouth when hunger strikes.)

and of course share the misery of sailing bra-less in choppy seas....

Thanks to all for making SailNet what it is, and hersailnet what it is!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook