SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hi Wing,

let me remind you that some of the best sailors around are women and I mean racing offshore solo racers. Most of them are quite light and are not body builders, but regular fit girls: You have Jeanne, Sam and Ellen, all light, apparentely fragile and all capable of beaten most men in long offshore races, including non stop circumnavigation.

Today’s equipment is easier and easier to use and require less force, not to mention all hydraulic and electrical helps. Many sailors are old and the boat builders make boats that they can sail easily and I am not only referring to heavy boats, fast boats too are easy to sail.

One of the boats I saw when I was looking for my new boat was a 2008 Salona 42, a very fast boat. The boat was a bit unclean and the seller explained that the boat was sailed by a 83 year’s old sailor and his also old wife. The boat was for sell because the guy had bought a brand new Grand Soleil 43 (also a very fast boat). It seems that his biggest problem for them is not sailing the boat, but cleaning it

Regards

Paulo
Agreed, but these women and boats are the elite. Our neighbor is a single woman in her mid-60s who sails an older Hans Christian 40, big heavy boat. She has solved the strength problem by using a cordless drill as an electric winch grinder.

I was thinking more about maintenance than sailing: My little fingers can get into tight places to connect wires, for example. Possibly better than a big guy. At the same time, if it's a frozen seacock in a tight space, I may be able to get to it, but once there lack the strength in my hands to wrestle it open. That's where perhaps women and men could use different strategies to solve the problem.

Pointy, if you're on Facebook there's a group called "Women Who Sail" PM me for details.

About the training: can do you online courses, such as SSCA webinars? For navigation, how long are you going to be in the US? Coast Guard has some awesome courses for very little cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook