SailNet Community - View Single Post - Life vests for the well-endowed
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Life vests for the well-endowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigala View Post
I definitely don't want some fanny-pack kind of thing.
I don't care for them either.

Quote:
I'm a pretty good swimmer and if I have my wits about me well enough to use one I can probably just swim.
In most cases, this isn't a good idea. If you find something is wrong with your boat and you end up overboard, it's easier for the rescuers to see your boat rather than a teeny head bobbing in the water so stay with it unless it's on fire (even then it'll more than likely just burn to the waterline so at least stay where you won't be in danger if there's an explosion). Also, you lose energy that your body needs to stay warm if you start swimming.

I was a water rescue instructor in a past life and learned quite quickly that unless you are an Olympic-caliber swimmer, you are NOT a "strong" swimmer, especially in adverse conditions. Now, if you do have a medal, forget I mentioned it. Many a student had discovered the difference between what their abilities were in their minds and what they could actually accomplish given a dangerous situation.

Quote:
I'd rather avoid an inflatable if I can, but it's definitely an option. Thanks for the suggestions!
Someone else may, but I don't know of any better option on the market right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook