SailNet Community - View Single Post - Selling my boat -am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Selling my boat -am I crazy?

So if the boat sank and burned and was hauled away, you'd still have the exclusive rights to the slip, even though the boat no longer existed?

I could see the marina having the right to buy it back ahead of anyone else, but forcing you to keep a slip without the boat? If that's what your contract says...it still might not be legal.

"Yep. Moorage is rent ... You don't get it back. "
Not so simple. If you have a lease and end it early, often you pay only for the next month, you don't pay for the rest of the original time. And if you leave early, often you still have the right to let someone else stay in your place for the time it has been paid for.

Telling someone "if you go, WE get it back and we rent it to someone else so we get to collect rent TWICE on the same spot"...that would be illegal in many parts of the US. Either you're entitled to keep using it, or you're entitled to get something back. A contract for anything less reasonable would be ruled void and unenforceable in many states.

It may not be worth being the poster child for "correcting" your marina's contracts, but it may help to know how most of the US would read this.

Last edited by hellosailor; 06-26-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook