SailNet Community - View Single Post - Taking the bull by the horns
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking the bull by the horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Little catalina's and macgregor's with swing keels are awesome first boats. Look on sailboat listings .com. Used sails are cheap, newer rigging is essential and a bit more pricey to re-pair. If you blow out a sail, no big deal, you lose a shroud, big deal. I've noticed a lot of sail boat owners on this sight will try and tell you " it's too expensive, you should wait till you retire, join a sailing club first, you don't know what you are getting into, you need massive insurance, the world is too scary to sail in, Sailing is really hard and you won't like it, "etc. etc. etc. Don't let them inflluence your desire to get a little sloop and sail around the bay, it's no big deal. And sailing is not some secret know how for the chosen few. Go for it. I saw a macgregor on a trailer in good cond. for $2500 the other day. Keep us posted on your progress, the more people out there sailing the better!
Good advice. I will add, shoal draft or swing keel as a consideration. You can beach them for some of the best exploring. Setting up a trailer sailboat will not be fast so be realistic. A good amount of your "sailing" time gets consumed setting up or taking down. A boat with a jib and genoa and mainsail with reef points will get you going out in a light breeze or stiff winds. Good luck and just do it! You can always trade up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook