View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Life vests for the well-endowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigala View Post
What is the difference between those ones and these ones:
MD2087 M.I.T. Membrane Inflatable Technologyô

I can't figure out any significant difference between the Deluxe one you linked and this one (other than the available colors - and I just want something bright and visible). But this one is about $60 less.
At a quick glance, the major difference is that the more expensive one has a hydrostatic trigger, which uses water pressure rather than inflating when it gets wet, which reduces the chance of it inflating accidentally. I didnít look very closely but the more expensive ones tend to have extras like soft collars and inspection windows to check on the firing mechanism.

Donít worry about the color (from a visibility point of view), they open up when inflated and are then all brightly colored, usually yellow.

Shop around for the best deal you can get. Depending on your level safety consciousness and where you use it, a crotch strap and a spray hood are nice features to have (they all come with a light and whistle, right?). Also I found some more comfortable than others, although I am a slightly different shape.

BTW, I got mine in Europe because, for some reason, inflatable lifejackets are (or at least were) less expensive there. Donít know why.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook