SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buy bigger or keep "old faithful"?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Re: Buy bigger or keep "old faithful"?

I am going against the grain here, keep what you know and what you know you can afford. 25K will go along way towards other things including a few upgrades to a boat you know well. Yes a Bristol 34 is nice boat but so is the boat you have. You can bet that almost everything for the bristol will cost at least 2x as much for it than the Ericson. Ultimately buy what makes you happy, but my experience is that things only seem new, exciting and different for a short time. then you are back to wishing you had something bigger, nicer!

I have an Alberg 30 that is just a good ole boat, but always look at the highly maintained Hans Christanian 37 in my marina for a few minutes and imagine sailing it....then I come to my senses and look at the standing rigging and say holy sh!t!, i wonder how much that cost if mine was $2,000 to replace......Then I wonder how in the world would I get it out of the slip on a windy day by myself. After a few minutes of that i look back over at my good ole Alberg and am happy to just have what I have.

Good Luck either way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook