SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buy bigger or keep "old faithful"?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012

tanksalot is on a distinguished road
Re: Buy bigger or keep "old faithful"?

Cruiser2B:
We know people on the dock (powerboaters) who ALWAYS want a bigger boat. They're never really totally satisfied, but they DO enjoy their boat. It's just that there's always better that they wished they had.

There was a 20/20 show years ago called "the mystery of happiness" with John Stossel, and it studied what caused people to be happy, and what didn't. There was one scene that showed an infant in a crib, and when a mobile with two dice was put over the crib, the infant appeared happier. That was increased to 4 dice, then 8 etc., and each time the number of dice increased, the infant appeared to be happier. Then they reduced the number of dice to 2, and the infant was significantly unhappy. But, from the adult perspective, what was the problem? Fewer dice to look at?

To me it illustrated the natural quest for "more", and the fruitlessness (and naturalness) of that pursuit.

I don't have any doubt that the Bristol 34 is a very nice boat, with more amenities and higher resale value, as well as more stability and seaworthiness. The question in my mind is whether going after it is worth the "price" of time and stress that the acquistion would involve.

Maybe I can negotiate a price for the boat "delivered", with new bottom paint, cushions re-installed and the boat in the water in sail-away condition.

Might be a reasonable approach.

Thanks for the feedback
Tanksalot
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook