SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wood vs Fiberglass Maintenance cost/time
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Wood vs Fiberglass Maintenance cost/time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Cold moulded is my personal favourite - best of glass and wood. It's not really a wood boat in the sense we are discussing here - it's properly termed a composite boat because the wood is merely the fiber - it's the combination of fiber and resin that makes the material.
If it's your personal favorite, you've obviously never owned one. Best of glass and wood?? Surely you mean the opposite. It might look flash but if you ever get any hull damage, personally, I don't think anyone has yet invented a more complicated and expensive system to fix!

Cold-moulded makes traditional timber repair look like child's play.

Wood vs Fibreglass?? In my experience, when people talk about "low maintenance" and "boat" is the same sentence, they usually mean "absolutely NO maintenance unless absolutely necessary - we just want to sail the thing". A traditional timber boat needs some level of regular maintenance perfectly within the capability of a live-aboard whereas a f'glass boat needs none at all - until almost-too-late.

Both $$$ and time average out in the long term leaving only personal preference as the real decider.. but most go the "no maintenance" route - buy f'glass, sail it for a while and then sell it as a "project boat" just before it becomes too expensive to fix.

Last edited by Classic30; 06-27-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook