SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bump in the night
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: Bump in the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
The problem is that your pennant lines sink. That little bit of weight is magnified by the obtuse angle of the line when the boat is farthest from the float. (Think small child at a pool, standing on the lap-lane floats. The small child exerts massive amounts of pull on the connection points.) Make it so the pennants float along a section of their length and you won't have the problem.

Ditto for the dinghy pennant.

Regards,
Brad
Last weekend in the northwest corner of Port Jefferson harbor, I saw a mooring that had each pennant go through a "noodle" like kids use in pools. I thought of this thread but didn't get a picture. Some versions of those noodles have a hole down the length of it, just like the one's I saw.

This is great because 1) it floats (as I mentioned above) and 2) it's rigid enough to help keep the bow some distance away from the mooring ball.

Here you can see the type of noodle I mean:

Do not get this kind of noodle. Although it looks the same, it's different.

And of course, get an extra one for your dinghy painter.

If you don't want to thread your mooring line through -- perhaps because you have nice spliced loops on the ends and you forgot your fid at home -- you can split the noodle down the length and slide the morring line in place. Just use a few zipties to keep it in place afterward.

One downside is that you'll have to clear the young children off your mooring lines before you get underway. These things attract kids like barnacles to a new rudder.

Photo credit Sol Mate yacht charter - got it off their website, no other affiliation

Regards,
Brad

Last edited by Bene505; 06-28-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook