SailNet Community - View Single Post - Compare/Contrast Catalina 30 & Islander Bahama 30
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012

bvermeer is on a distinguished road
Re: Compare/Contrast Catalina 30 & Islander Bahama 30

Having owned two Islander Bahama 30s over the last 15 years I believe them to be excellent boats. I've sailed mine down the outside of Vancouver Island, British Columbia in a 40 knot following wind and not heard a creak or groan below. Parts for the Volvo are not that hard to find, just a bit expensive. I just replaced mine with a Beta 20, the extra hp is welcome.

Have a look at the main cabin windows, they are prone to leak at the corners. If they do, the plywood core will rot. Also have a look at the mast step on deck. Look along the deck to see if there is any compression. There will most likely be some compression in the step area. If so, have a look at where the support post inside meets the cabin sole. If that is compressed or dipped there may be a problem with the basic support structure under the sole, a difficult and expensive repair. I've had surface blisters on the bottom of both boats, but they've both been in salt water. The repairs were not difficult.

Would I buy another Islander? Yes! Have a look at the Islander 36 Association web site under events and under maintenance. I organize the Canadian Islander Rendezvous (coming up next week) and there is all sorts of information on Islanders on that site (including the repowering and blister repair on mine).

Bert Vermeer
Sidney BC

Last edited by bvermeer; 06-28-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook