SailNet Community - View Single Post - US Yacht 25' - Are they as bad as they say?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: US Yacht 25' - Are they as bad as they say?

The US Yachts were actually decent built boats. They weren't fast, but they were decent cruisers. Things to look for are bulkheads being rotted, as well as the teak/holly sole will be trashed. The windows leaked (like everything 30+ years old). They do sail quite well, and the fin keel model will hold up in a blow like nobody's business. They aren't pointing machines, but who cares its a $2500 sailboat.

If the bulkheads are good, the chainplates are good, standing rigging is passable. Mast straight and all hardware still present... You're 99% there. Other thing to check is the rudder post, these wobble (not a big deal), but you'll have to shim it to keep it from dropping the rudder. Not unusual to hear of the rudders falling out, again, take some precautions and you'll be fine.

My father bought a brand new US 27 in 1981 (I was his crew). It was a HELLUVA boat. We sailed it on Lake Norman, NC for 4 years, then moved it to NJ and sailed it on Barnegat. We actually raced it a lot, lost lots... We only ever placed when the winds were 30+ sustained, and a water spout formed on the lake.

As for the US 25? My brother owned one for 10+ years (just sold it about 4 years ago)... Windows leaked like a strainer. Sailed it like mad though. They go over quick, then harden up nicely about 20 degrees. Trick to get them moving is a decent sized genoa. On the 27 we had a 170 we used up until the winds his 20+, on the 25 my brother never had more than a 110, and because of it, spent many a hot day with light winds going very slow. These are masthead rigs with blade mains, again headsail is the key.

If you want any more information feel free to PM me.