SailNet Community - View Single Post - Selling my boat -am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012
1973 Viking 33

SloopDogg is on a distinguished road
Re: Selling my boat -am I crazy?

I just sold a 1977 O'day 22. It took well over a year to sell, maybe even closer to 2 years. I started at $5500 for a while got a few calls and one guy came to look. then nothing for a while. Lowered to $4900 got some sporadic interests but no offers and then it happened. I got a very nice lady, seriously wanting a boat she could feel comfortable about. Mine has 4 year old sails, 4 year old motor, 4 year old standing rigging, new side birth cushions....blah blah blah. In short, she looked at it and a bunch of others, liked it best, we came to an agreement of $4300 and she didn't want the trailer.

I guess what I learned is that if you wait for the right buyer for your boat you should get close to what it is worth. Of course, mine was on a trailer in my yard so, no fees were piling up and I could afford to wait. In the end we were both happy. I got about 50% what I invested in the boat (not including any of my labor) and she got the advantage of all that new stuff and worry free sailing.

I guess the difference here is that the longer you keep it the more it costs. If your intent is to stop the outlay of funds to own this boat, you may have to see it as a bird in the hand...However, it is the season and it is paid for the season. If your boat is in good shape, someone should come along that will appreciate that. The latter is a gamble though...

Regards,
Danny

Last edited by SloopDogg; 06-29-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook