SailNet Community - View Single Post - New sailors iso private instruction Pasadena, MD
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
Re: New sailors iso private instruction Pasadena, MD

Hey Rob;

Practice helps, but it is counter-productive to practice incorrect procedures.

I am an ASA instructor and am pretty familar with many of the sailing schools in the area. Schools will happily design instruction for your specific needs and set you up with an instructor on your boat, although you'll have to pay for it. I've personally taken new boat owners from essentially zero to capable in about three days of training. Have also done many one day boat familiarization classes designed to show new owners critical boat systems, getting in and out of the dock, and how to raise, trim, reef and douse sails. Am sure you can find an 'old salt' willing to show you the ropes and help teach you docking outside of the schools. At worst, you'll end up wasting a day and have to buff out some hull dings, so it might be worth the effort to try that first. If that doesn't do the trick for you, I'd suggest getting a trained instructor on your boat. The confidence an instructor can give you will be well worth the expense.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook