SailNet Community - View Single Post - Taking the bull by the horns
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking the bull by the horns

I found trailer sailing to be disappointing; too many fine sailing days went by with my boat safely on the trailer. I loved my Catalina 18, but stepping the mast and rigging/launching the boat for anything less than a weekend was not realistic (for me). Your mileage will likely vary.

I do agree that there is no substitute for owning your own boat! If your lake allows overnight anchoring, you could set up on Saturday and break it down on Sunday.

I towed my C18 with a Ford Ranger 3.0 liter 4wd; it only got ugly once and I mangaged to get through it. I had just gotten the gear to do strap launching when I sold it.

I looked at the C22 but it would require a change of tow vehicle (an F-150 or similar). The biggest issue with a trailer is stopping it, don't exceed the tow rating for the vehicle.

I recommend the Catalinas because there are so many to choose from and parts are always available. Some people dislike them for the same reason.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook