SailNet Community - View Single Post - What class is my PHRF boat? A,B,C
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: What class is my PHRF boat? A,B,C

Its funny but the size of the crew required to race any boat is often driven by what you are used to. I used to race my 38 footer single-handed in single-handed races and these races included using my symmetrical spinnaker (which I also use single and double handed cruising).

The funny part is that my boat always seemed under crewed when I only had 5 aboard in a normal fully crewed race. In a crewed spinnaker class race I tried to have 7 on board. The amazing part was the raises and drops were no slower in the single-handed races, but the prep time meant that I might be on a non-favored tack longer so that I had time to set up for the raise. Jibes were a little slower, and needed a little more searoom since I needed to be almost dead down wind while I walked to the foredeck and jibed the pole.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-02-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook